Little Lamb Meatballs in a Spicy Eggplant Tomato Sauce17 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 min
“I love lamb, and once in a while I enjoy it in small, spherical portions.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine eggplant, olive oil, salt and black pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until eggplant begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in minced onion and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until onion softens, 4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and marinara sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce mixture has reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk bread crumbs, egg, and Greek yogurt in a large bowl until the bread crumbs absorb all the liquid, about 3 minutes.
- Mix onions, garlic, Kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and coriander into the bread crumb mixture.
- Crumble lamb into bread crumb spice mixture; stir in cayenne pepper.
- Form lamb mixture into small meatballs and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake until browned, but still pink inside, about 10 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and stir into simmering sauce. Simmer over low heat until sauce begins to thicken, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh mint.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 426 cal
- 26.6 g
- 21.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (17)Rate This Recipe
"This just became my favorite recipe on the site. I'm a new cook and a big fan of Chef John's recipes. If you're looking for something different, this is truly outstanding. Check out his video for this..." See more recipe on Foodwishes.com which really helped me through it. I couldn't find any coriander so I minced some cilantro for the meatballs. It is a bit time consuming but WELL WORTH IT."
"I never use a recipe when it has only 1 review, but I had ground lamb and some eggplants and 2 hungry boys. So I gave it a shot. I have to say that I forgot to add the yogurt, and the garlic even tho..." See moreugh I had both. Everyone in my family liked this one, even the kids who don't like eggplants, and even asked for it for lunch the next day. I thought it would take longer to make than it actually did, but to speed up the process for next time, I'll make the meatballs ahead of time and put them in the freezer for a quick meal. Thank you for sharing this recipe."
"This recipe was a great way to use up the eggplant from my garden! I loved the method of browning the meatballs in the oven. They were browned like the would be in a pan but I didn't have to fuss with..." See more them. The only thing I changed was that I used beef hamburger instead of lamb. (It was what I had in the freezer.) It is a great recipe it will be using again."
Penne with Spicy Vodka Tomato Cream Sauce
Mama's Oh-So-Savory Lamb and Eggplant Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.