Kate's Easy German Sauerbraten3 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 8 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 2 day 8 hr 50 min
“This is a slow-cooker version of a classic German recipe. Sauerbraten is often served with red cabbage and spaetzle noodles.” - by kateshort
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat water, red wine, cider vinegar, lemon, 1/2 onion, garlic, cloves, bay leaves, white sugar, salt, juniper berries, and peppercorns in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Allow marinade to cool and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add beef roast, coat with marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 3 days, turning the roast twice a day.
- Place onions, carrots, and celery in a slow cooker. Remove roast from marinade and place atop vegetables. Strain marinade and pour 2 1/2 cups over roast; reserve remaining marinade.
- Cover and cook roast on Low for 8 hours. Turn slow cooker off. Transfer roast to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Strain cooking liquid into a large bowl and return vegetables to slow cooker to rest.
- Heat about 3 cups cooking liquid and gingersnaps in a saucepan over medium-high heat, adding reserved marinade as needed, until gravy is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Slice roast and serve with vegetables and gravy.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 455 cal
- 26.8 g
- 17.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This was super easy with the slow cooker and very close to authentic Sauerbraten that my family use to make when I was young. I was not able to find juniper berries, but it did not seem to effect the..." See more recipe. I was really skeptical about the gingersnap cookies in the gravy, but it worked beautifully and produced a wonderful sauce. Will definitely be keeping this one to make for large family dinners in the future."
"Terrific sauerbraten recipe. Marinated the beef for 3 days, then prepared it in the pressure cooker. (Seared meat in about 2 tbsp vegetable oil; cooked without vegetables at high pressure for 50 mins...." See more Let pressure drop naturally; removed meat, added veggies and simmered until tender.) Served it with Grandma Jeanette's Amazing German Red Cabbage and buttered kluski noodles."
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Easy Slow Cooker Carne Guisada
Just swipe to see more like this.