Traditional Sauerbraten11 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 4 hr
- Ready In: 2 day 4 hr 15 min
“I found two slightly different hand written versions of this, my Grandmother's recipe. Born in Nekkar am Rhein in the 1904, she naturally learned to cook traditional German meals as a young woman and didn't rely on a cookbook. I try to capture the nuance in this. Serve with potato dumplings.” - by Chris Simpler
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place beef rump roast, onions, vinegar, water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, sugar, cloves, and bay leaves in a large pot. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days, turning meat daily. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels, reserving marinade.
- Season flour to taste with salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle flour mixture over beef.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat; cook beef until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Pour reserved marinade over beef, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until beef is tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Remove beef to a platter and slice.
- Strain solids from remaining liquid and continue cooking over medium heat. Add gingersnap cookies and simmer until gravy is thickened about 10 minutes. Serve gravy over sliced beef.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 456 cal
- 22.3 g
- 20.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"This was my first attempt at making sauerbraten and it turned out delicious! The flavor was mouthwatering and the gingersnaps made all the difference with the flavor. A very nice balance... It was ext..." See moreremely tender, but I wonder if I should slice the meat into serving portions before marinating in the spices? It just fell apart when it was time to serve, it was so tender! YUM. Total comfort food. :)"
"I cooked this in the crock pot all day (8 hours - 6 lbs) after marinating it for 5 days. WOW! Excellent falvor! I have made this in the past and it turned out tough - the crockpot is the way to go! Ma..." See morede the gravy with Nabisco Ginger Snaps - A real hit at our German themed dinner party. I also served spatsel, red cabbage, mashed potatoes and sourdough rolls with Lingonberry jam. Excellent!"
Traditional Osso Buco
Sauerbraten Klopse (Sauerbraten Meatballs)
Just swipe to see more like this.