Arroz Rojo (Mexican Red Rice)6 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“Authentic Mexican red rice. Easy to make! Use a different chile if you want milder or hotter rice.” - by Paulette
Original recipe yields 5 servings
- Grate tomatoes into a bowl using a box grater; discard tomato skins.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and cook onion until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic into onion and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir rice into onion mixture and cook, stirring often, until rice is lightly toasted, about 3 more minutes. Stir grated tomato, chicken broth, and tomato sauce into the rice. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Mix in jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and salt; reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and simmer until rice has absorbed the liquid, about 15 minutes. Do not lift the cover while the rice is cooking.
- Turn off heat and let rice stand covered for 8 minutes. Fluff with a fork before transferring rice to a serving dish.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 213 cal
- 6 g
- 35.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"This was very good and very easy. I made enough for 45 people and everyone enjoyed it. My only change - My altered servings called for many many Roma tomatoes, peeled. I drained a #10 can of diced ..." See moretomatoes and it worked perfectly."
"I'm glad I picked this recipe in a hurry last night. I usually will not choose recipes that have not been highly rated by many people and choosing a recipe with only 1 rating is not normal for me. So ..." See moreI had to give this recipe a review. The rice turned like a classic Mexican rice. I didn't have enough fresh tomatoes so I puréed a 12 oz can and used about 3/4 of the can. I also added a little extra cilantro and next time I will also add green chiles. This one is a keeper."
My Favorite Mexican Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.