Gretchen's Tomato Orange Soup2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Tomato soup was a childhood favorite for chef Gretchen Allison of Ducksoup Inn. At the start of her career, learning to make good soup opened the door to a whole new palette of flavors.” - by Duck Soup
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place whole poblano peppers on the grate of a stove-top gas burner set to medium-high. Rotate peppers over the flame using a set of tongs until the outer skin blackens and blisters and is charred on all sides. Transfer peppers to a paper bag, tightly close the bag, and set aside for 20 minutes. Remove peppers from bag and peel off charred skin. Trim stems and seeds; discard. Chop peppers and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Add onion; cook and stir until lightly browned around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour wine into the pot over onions; bring to a boil while scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until onions are well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, poblano chiles, carrot, bay leaf, orange zest, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Pour the mixture into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the mixture moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth. Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve back into the stockpot. Alternately, use a stick blender and puree the mixture right in the pot.
- Return pureed soup to a simmer; stir in cream. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve topped with a dollop of creme fraiche and chopped basil.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 276 cal
- 17.6 g
- 18.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
Tomato and Bread Soup
Oatmeal and Tomato Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.