Chef John's Chicken and Mushrooms75 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“This chicken and mushrooms recipe video is an experiment in extreme self-control; I wanted to challenge myself to make a chicken and mushrooms recipe using only chicken and mushrooms.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 2 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Season chicken on all sides with salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in an ovenproof skillet. Place chicken skin-side down in skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; stir mushrooms with a pinch of salt into skillet. Increase heat to high; cook, stirring mushrooms occasionally, until mushrooms shrink slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 15 to 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken breasts to a plate and loosely tent with foil; set aside.
- Set skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat; cook and stir mushrooms until brown bits start to form on the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes. Pour water into the skillet, and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Cook until water is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in any accumulated juices from the chicken into the skillet. Stir butter into mushroom mixture, stirring constantly until butter is completely melted and incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mushroom sauce over chicken and serve.
Amount Per Serving (2 total)
- 320 cal
- 22.4 g
- 3.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (75)Rate This Recipe
"A great simple recipe. I made it with boneless skinless chicken breasts and added a chopped onion for a bit more flavor, but I'm sure it would be just as good as directed. Thanks!..." See more"
"Succulent and chicken breast are seldom found in the same sentence, but you can find them together here in this delightfully simple recipe, composed of a few common ingredients. Chef John really sho..." See morews off the flavor of chicken and mushrooms. Yes, you may add more things, like wine, or aromatics, but the more additions, the more complications and subbing, and then the tweaking begins! I chose not to view the video beforehand, just to check out the instructions and the cooking times. I went on the low side of the recommended times, and the chicken came out perfectly, with rich, delicious mushrooms. We really enjoyed our Sunday chicken today!"
"I followed this recipe to the T, and it came out delicious! It was simple, quick, and had only a few main ingredients so I didn't have to go to the store to get anything off hand. It also still tasted..." See more good when I reheated it for lunch. I think next time I may add in some onions, just for some more flavor, but it was delicious!"
Chef John's Caramel Chicken
Paprika Chicken with Mushrooms
Just swipe to see more like this.