Chef John's Cottage Fries40 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“While they don't get the same love as French fries, home fries, or steak fries, cottage fries more than hold their own against their potato side dish fraternity brothers.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Combine potatoes, salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, and herbes de provence in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and stir to evenly coat.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet, spaced evenly, and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip over each potato slice, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Continue cooking and flipping until potatoes are well browned, about 30 minutes. Potatoes should be crispy around edges, but still soft in the center.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 187 cal
- 6.9 g
- 29 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (40)Rate This Recipe
"Hubby gave these 5 stars. He is the potato lover in the family. Nice and crunchy. Mine took just over 45 minutes total - turning every 15 minutes. Enjoy!..." See more"
"YUM! Love how crispy brown these came out and how you can season them any way you want...I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne and Italian seasoning. These took no time to get toge..." See morether and they smelled delicious while baking. I do wish I would've cut mine a bit thicker, but I'll know for next time. I will def be mkaing these often! Thanks for sharing. :)"
"Because I was grilling a steak, and because I was feeling somewhat lethargic, I just made these on the grill. I mixed the herbs and pepper with the olive oil for approximately an hour hoping to infuse..." See more a little more flavor into the oil before adding in the slices of potato, whether that made any difference - who knows. Also, to give myself a head start, I nuked the potato in the microwave for a few minutes to partially cook it before slicing it. I simply tossed the slices in the olive oil mixture before putting it on a well oiled grill. It made a great side dish with the marinated steak. Good call if I may say so myself."
Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Chip Truck Fries
Just swipe to see more like this.