Chef John's Flour Tortillas68 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Homemade tortillas are so much better that if you do decide to give these a try, be warned that you'll have a very hard time ever going back to the packaged option again.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 8 tortillas
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Add vegetable shortening and work into flour mixture using a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Form a well in the middle of flour mixture and mix in hot water. Work flour and water mixture together with a fork and transfer to a cutting board.
- Knead until a smooth, soft dough is formed, about 3 minutes. Add more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Place more flour on cutting board, cover dough with bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut ball of dough into eight equal parts and cover until needed.
- Roll out balls of dough either by hand or with a tortilla press.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place flattened tortilla in skillet and cook until it begins to bubble, about 1 minute. Flip tortilla over and cook for an additional minute. Flip again and cook for 1 more minute. Repeat with remaining dough.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 170 cal
- 6.7 g
- 23.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (68)Rate This Recipe
"Great recipe. Awesome with the stated shortening, but if you're like me and want a lower fat one, you can get a great result with 2 tablespoons shortening (just be aware you may need to adjust the wa..." See moreter if reducing the shortening). I double the recipe and keep the leftovers (if any) wrapped in plastic for the morning. Just put it back on a hot skillet for a minute each side and it becomes soft and pliable again. Scramble and egg, add cheese, and you have great breakfast burritoes!"
"When I first made these, I was planning on having to later run to the store to buy tortillas because I didn't think that I would be able to make these, since I am terrible at making bread. My end resu..." See morelt was exactly what they are supposed to look like. and they tasted much better than store bought tortillas. I was very impressed by this recipe, I found that the video was very very helpful. I would give this recipe 10 stars if I could. To be completely honest, I did burn one (oops) because I forgot about them on the stove while doing dishes :) But that was my fault. I wouldn't change the recipe at all, just remember to stay at the stove the whole time. Thank you Chef John for sharing this great recipe, I will be looking into your other delicious looking recipes, they look amazing. Oh, and I did not use a tortilla press, I used a rolling pin. They were very fun to make!"
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Chef John's Pita Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.