Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing15 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“This spinach salad with black-eyed peas is a twist on one of my favorite culinary traditions: serving beans and greens on New Year's Day. Greens represent paper money and beans symbolize coins. Here I present these ingredients in salad form, which is a great delivery system for hot bacon dressing.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Cook and stir bacon with 1/4 cup vegetable in a skillet over medium heat until bacon is browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour bacon into a strainer set over a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup of bacon drippings.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Stir onions and salt into the skillet; cook and stir until onions are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant and golden, 1 minute.
- Stir cider vinegar, rice vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, and Dijon mustard into onion mixture. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer.
- Whisk 2 teaspoons water and cornstarch in a bowl. Gradually pour cornstarch mixture into onion mixture and whisk until thickened. 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Drizzle reserved 1/3 cup bacon drippings into onion mixture, whisking constantly. Add cooked bacon and stir to combine. Season with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Combine spinach, black-eyed peas, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl; toss to combine. Drizzle hot bacon dressing over spinach mixture; toss quickly and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 430 cal
- 28.3 g
- 34.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (15)Rate This Recipe
"I used green onions, no veggie oil, no peas or mushrooms. I added hard boiled eggs to the spinach. Everyone loved it. The recipe Makes about six hearty servings. The sugar could be adjusted downwa..." See morerd perhaps. Really loved it!"
"Gawd, I loved this Chef John! I've made hot bacon dressing for years, but yours is the best!..." See more"
Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon-Mustard Dressing
Lettuce with Hot Bacon Dressing
Just swipe to see more like this.