Chef John's Spaghetti alla Carbonara52 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 25 min
“Spaghetti alla carbonara's creamy sauce is simply a thin egg and cheese custard, spiked with pork and black pepper. Try to find pancetta or guanciale (pork cheek cured like pancetta) for a really authentic taste!” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 2 servings
- Cook guanciale with olive oil and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat until almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk eggs, 3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Pour reserved pasta water and drained spaghetti into the bacon-pepper mixture; stir to combine.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into the pasta mixture; cook, stirring constantly until the egg mixture forms a thick sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir remaining 3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese into the pasta mixture and serve.
Amount Per Serving (2 total)
- 688 cal
- 30.3 g
- 66.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (52)Rate This Recipe
"When I make carbonara, I always add about a cup of chopped yellow onion to the bacon as it fries. That combination is delicious. I also use chicken broth instead of pasta water, as it adds more flavor..." See more, and only add the cheese at the end, along with about 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley."
"Surprisingly, I've never had spaghetti alla carbonara before. So, I don't have anything to compare this to. I know where I can buy pancetta at but it was too far away and I was feeling lazy. So, I use..." See mored thick bacon. I, like chef John in the video, used whole wheat spaghetti. I enjoyed this simple dish even though I messed up a little and my cream curdled a bit. I didn't lower my heat as low as I should have and I didn't constantly stir. So, do as Chef John said!!! :o)"
"Very easy, simple ingredients, great to see the video also. I added a little diced onion with the bacon and seared cubed chicken tenderloins with the pasta; it tasted just like a nearby restaurant's ..." See morecarbonara. Wasn't too sure about adding the pasta water, but it was a great tip; made the sauce just the right consistency! Perfect amount for two people. Thanks for the recipe!"
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Just swipe to see more like this.