Short Rib and Cauliflower Curry4 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 3 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 55 min
“This simple, braised beef short ribs recipe combines the best of our country's classic stews with the exotic spices we associate with the cuisine of Asia.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; oil lightly.
- Place short ribs on the baking sheet and season on all sides with garam masala, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Bake short ribs in the preheated oven until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Combine onion, tomato paste, vegetable oil, and red curry paste in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic cloves and cook until garlic is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, bay leaves, and star anise. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer browned short ribs into coconut milk mixture. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake until ribs are tender when pierced with a fork, 3 hours.
- Remove Dutch oven from the oven, transfer short ribs to a small bowl, and set aside.
- Return Dutch over to the stove top over high heat. Skim fat from top as it begins to boil and remove any bones that may have fallen from the meat.
- Stir in cauliflower and cover Dutch oven. Cook until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bones from short ribs and place meat in the Dutch oven. Stir in green onions and basil leaves; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 1144 cal
- 98.3 g
- 17.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This is a great generic curry recipe for the braise king: beef short ribs. In the heat of summer, I browned the ribs over charcoal, getting a good carmelization, losing some of the fat, and adding a s..." See moreubtle smokey flavor. Since the chef advises tasting and adjusting flavors, the rest of the recipe is right on target. Served with an aromatic basmati rice cooked with cardamom pods and whole cloves, this was a hit with my wife."
"This was the first short rib recipe I ever tried, and it's still one of my favorites. I add carrots and potatoes to make it a cross between curry and beef stew. I also use curry powder, whisked into..." See more the veg oil in the recipe, instead of curry paste. This is a hit with the hubby."
"This was REALLY good. My traditional Irish family really enjoyed it - even my husband who doesn't really like cauliflower. I followed recipe exactly. If you want a spicier dish I would suggest addi..." See moreng more red curry paste and/or cayenne pepper. I would definitely make this again."
Korean BBQ Short Ribs (Gal-Bi)
Beef Short Rib French Onion Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.