Spicy Sausage Ragu11 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“With all the options for different kinds of sauces and types of sausage, it goes without saying that you can embellish this a hundred different ways, and I hope you do.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in white wine and cook until the wine has nearly evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in marinara sauce and water and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 1 hour.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Stir in penne, and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, but still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes; drain.
- Combine pasta and sauce; remove from heat, cover and let sit for about 2 minutes.
- Serve pasta and sauce topped with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 831 cal
- 34.1 g
- 88.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"No dutch oven, just a plain ol' cast iron skillet. I made one small change. I don't normally keep parsley on hand (and I forgot to pick it up this week during the grocery shopping) so instead of parsl..." See moreey, I added two teaspoons of homemade italian seasoning. This ragu was cake, seriously 20 minutes it took me to make this, not counting the simmering. The end result was fantastic. My husband and kids INHALED this dish--there was NO leftovers. I'll make this again."
For Here or To Go?
"5 stars for being easy, simple, and good! This will be my go-to if we just want to use italian sausages instead of my usual sausage/beef mixture...." See more"
"FANTASTIC! Made the sauce as written and would not change a thing. The flavor that comes out of this after cooking so long is wonderful and sooo flavorful! I used cellantani (sp?) pasta instead of pen..." See morene b/c that's what I had on hand. This is definitely a new pasta favorite~YUM! Thanks for sharing. :)"
Tuscan Sausage Ragu
Spicy Italian Sausage and Lentil Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.