Currant Scones7 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“Hands-down the best scones I've ever had; moist and delicious! Eat immediately until your stomach aches, then eat some more.” - by jennifermo
Original recipe yields 1 dozen scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cover currants with warm water in a bowl and set aside to moisten.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment at low speed, mix white sugar and salt into the flour mixture. Add all the unsalted butter to the mixer bowl and mix on low speed until butter cubes reduce to the size of small peas, about 30 seconds.
- Drain currants and discard soaking water; mix currants, buttermilk, and lemon zest into the flour mixture on low speed just until the dough starts to hold together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently shape into a rectangle 18 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 1 1/2 inches thick. Brush dough with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Cut the dough in half crosswise with a sharp knife; cut each half into thirds, and cut each third diagonally to make 12 triangular-shaped scones. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until scones are lightly golden brown, about 18 minutes. Eat warm.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 428 cal
- 19 g
- 58.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"My daughters made these with friends, and they were SO good. The girls made a second batch leaving out the currants and zest and adding chocolate chips. I hear they were delicious. I said HEAR because..." See more they didn't last long enough for me to try one. Highly recommended."
"Love this recipe. I roll 1/2 of recipe into flat rectangle, spread with soft butter then sugar or cinn. sugar. Cover with raisins or choc. chips. Fold 1/3 over then the other 1/3. Slice. Tuck in ..." See moresides before baking. If you want to use orange marmalade tuck in 1 side & place open side up & top with tsp. orange marm. Really with mini choc chips & org marm. Don't use strawberry as it burns."
Lemon and Lavender Scones
Just swipe to see more like this.