Grandpa's Oyster Stew6 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“Born and raised on the water, oystering is in chef Madden Surbaugh's blood. Every year at Christmas his grandfather made his famous oyster stew.” - by Madden Surbaugh
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Stir butter and garlic in stockpot over medium heat until butter begins to brown. Remove garlic and discard.
- Stir shallots into browned butter. Cook and stir until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour sherry over shallots in the stockpot and bring to a boil while scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour reserved oyster liquor, milk, and cream into the stockpot; bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in oysters; cook until oyster edges begin to ruffle, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley; season with sea salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sweet paprika and oyster crackers.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 806 cal
- 51.8 g
- 46.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"This is my first time making oyster soup and most likely not my last. I love the flavors and the simplicity of this soup. Probably one of the best seafood soups out there. I used a 16 oz bag of frozen..." See more oysters (just thawed in bag with a bowl full of water and drained in stainer to reserve juice) other than that followed recipe as is. Just wonderful, have to taste to understand. Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!"
"This recipe was very tasty and uncomplicated to prepare. I used a dry white wine because I'm not crazy about sherry; I also used whole milk and half-n-half instead of the heavy cream, one tblsp of dri..." See moreed parsley (because that was what I had on hand) and garlic bread croutons....main meal with a salad....Perfect!"
Oyster Stew for One or Two
Delicious Oyster Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.