Lamb Braised in Pomegranate5 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 2 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 45 min
“This pomegranate braised lamb shoulder is about as seasonally appropriate as it gets, and one of the best things I've tasted in a long time.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Generously season lamb chops with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Place lamb chops in Dutch oven and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer lamb to a plate and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir onion and a pinch of salt into the Dutch oven; cook until onions are slightly golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour pomegranate juice into the Dutch oven and scrape any browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Pour in balsamic vinegar, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Stir rosemary, mint leaves, and red pepper flakes into pomegranate juice mixture. Continue to boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Return lamb and any accumulated juices to Dutch oven, spoon pomegranate mixture over lamb, and cover.
- Cook in the preheated oven until meat is fork tender, about 2 hours. Transfer lamb to a plate and set Dutch oven on the stovetop over high heat. Bring pomegranate mixture to a boil; cook, skimming any fat that accumulates, until liquid is reduced by 1/3, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Return lamb to the Dutch oven; stir to combine. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, sliced mint leaves, and pumpkin seeds.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 546 cal
- 34.1 g
- 23.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe is awesome and other than getting the seeds out of the pomegranate, it was pretty easy!..." See more"
"Made this for my boyfriend. He loved it! Very tender and juicy. Paired it with butternut squash for a nice fall dinner...." See more"
"What a delicious recipe! My husband, kids and I loved this lamb. Very tasty and so juicy. I highly recommend this recipe for those who like Moroccan style stews and lamb. I didn't have lamb chops only..." See more shoulder. I followed the recipe and pulled the lamb meat with a fork. This is now a family favorite!"
Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
Braised Lamb Shanks
Just swipe to see more like this.