Chef John's Braised Lamb Shanks2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 2 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 25 min
“You don't often see lamb cooked with these spices, but they really work together wonderfully. The final plate ended up being a sort of North African/Central American fusion thing, with the fragrantly spiced meat and peppers resting on a simple bed of couscous.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Generously season lamb shanks with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place lamb shanks in the Dutch oven, cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer shanks to a plate. Drain off remaining oil and fat so only 1 tablespoon remains in the Dutch oven.
- Stir onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt into the Dutch oven; decrease heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until onions are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, chipotle chile powder, ancho chile powder, and ground cinnamon; stir to combine.
- Pour 1 cup chicken broth over onion mixture. Increase heat to high; when liquid boils, place lamb shanks in Dutch oven. Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 90 minutes.
- Remove Dutch oven and stir in jalapeno pepper, red bell pepper and 1/2 cup chicken stock; bring to a boil on the stovetop. Return pan to the oven and cook, uncovered, until lamb shanks are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer lamb to plate.
- Place Dutch oven on the stovetop over high heat; bring liquid to a boil and cook, skimming off any foam, until liquid is reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over lamb shanks and serve.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 295 cal
- 15.2 g
- 9.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This was pretty good. I omitted the hot peppers and added a tsp of crushed red pepper instead for a milder flavor. Also I didn't have any tomato paste so I diced a 1/2 thick slice of fresh tomato and ..." See moreadded that to the onion sauce."
Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
Braised Lamb Shanks
Just swipe to see more like this.