Cotechino and Braised Beans1 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 9 hr 35 min
“Cotechino is a large, Italian pork sausage traditionally served to celebrate the New Year. Its thick casing is pierced all over with a knife, then gently braised in a pot of lentils until done. After the sausage is cooked, it's sliced into round coins, which are then fried crisp in a pan, and used to garnish the lentils.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place cranberry beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in onion. Cook, stirring, until onions are softened and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cranberry beans, chicken broth, water, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, rosemary, and thyme.
- Pierce Cotechino all over with the tip of a knife, then place in broth and beans mixture. Bring to a simmer, skimming any foam that accumulates. Reduce heat to low; cook until beans are tender, 1 hour. Transfer Cotechino to a cutting board; discard string and casing, then slice into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Stir Swiss chard into bean and broth mixture. Simmer until chard is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the Cotechino rounds until crisped and browned, about 1 minute per side. Ladle beans into bowls and top with Cotechino rounds.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 507 cal
- 20.2 g
- 53.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"Thank you Chef John. I was looking for something different to do with my black eye peas on New Years day and found this recipe. I added 1/2 package of 15 bean soup and the rest of the black eye peas..." See more. It was delicious. It was a hit.. who knew! Thanks again. Oh, I found the cotechino at a little gourmet spice in Oklahoma City. It was wrapped the same way."
Collard Greens and Beans
Braised Flank Steak with Lemon and Garlic
Just swipe to see more like this.