Chef John's Roast Christmas Goose1 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 3 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 40 min
“I used half the wings to make a basic reduction sauce and the subtle smokiness worked wonderfully with the red wine, balsamic vinegar, and blackberry notes. The sauce is certainly optional, as this could be served plain with just some cranberry sauce on the side. I hope you're able to give this very easy-to-prepare, gorgeous roast goose a try.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove top wing flat section from each wing. Place goose, breast-side up, in a baking dish or roasting pan.
- Combine wing sections, water, wine, and star anise in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Remove bones and star anise; discard.
- Roast goose in the preheated oven until completely heated through, about 1 1/4 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 150 degrees F (66 degrees C).
- Stir balsamic vinegar, blackberry jam, and black pepper into red wine mixture; bring to simmer over medium heat. Simmer until reduced by three quarters, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in cold butter until completely incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush melted goose fat from bottom of pan onto the goose breast. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 1107 cal
- 77.5 g
- 8.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe More Reviews
Chef John's Perfect Prime Rib
Chef John's Turkey Noodle Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.