Slow Cooker Onion Soup4 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 4 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 30 min
“This is about the best onion soup I've been able to come up with. Tastes better than any restaurant onion soup I've ever had.” - by Plain ole Bob
Original recipe yields 3 servings
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir sweet onion and red onion in melted butter until softened, about 10 minutes. Cook and stir garlic into onion mixture until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Pour beef stock, brandy, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into slow cooker. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook soup on High for 4 to 5 hours.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Ladle the soup into 3 oven-proof bowls; top with croutons and a slice of Provolone per bowl.
- Broil in the preheated oven until cheese melts and begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (3 total)
- 498 cal
- 29.3 g
- 30.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"Surprizingly good--even my husband, who is a french onion soup snob, liked it. I was surprized that a french onion soup could be this good from a crockpot. I used a quality brand beef stock, I added s..." See moreome fresh ground pepper when I sauteed the onions/garlic and I made my own homemade croutons. Next time, I think I would use all sweets and maybe add one more onion but that's honestly a personal preferance, not a reflection of the recipe. I'd make this again."
"This was tasty! It was definitely easier than making onion soup the traditional way...I did feel that it was a bit on the thin side, though. I only used sweet onion and more than called for. The flavo..." See morer was nice! This won't replace my usual onion soup recipe, but for quickness and ease, this was great! I may even try to use this method w/ my usual recipe, b/c the concept is just great. I made my own 'croutons', using sliced baguette that I toasted on each side and then rubbed w/ a clove of fresh garlic, and I used swiss just b/c that's what I always use when I make onion soup. All in all this was good and I would def make it again, with a few minor adjustments! Thanks for sharing. :)"
Slow Cooker, Easy Baked Potato Soup
Lorene's Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.