Sensational Strawberry Shortcake2 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 5 min
“This pretty strawberry dessert really hits the spot on a hot summer day.” - by Brent BeSaw
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Gently stir strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl; chill.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl; cut in butter with a knife or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk milk and egg yolks in a bowl, then stir into flour mixture until just moistened. Divide in half and pat into prepared cake pans.
- Beat egg whites until foamy in a large bowl. Continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites should form a sharp peak that holds its shape. Spread over dough; sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack; cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a large serving plate; spread with half the whipped cream, spoon half the strawberries over cream. Repeat layers; garnish with mint.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 403 cal
- 17 g
- 58.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This was so delicious!! I loved what the egg whites and sugar did for the cake! I made my own whipped cream and cut back on some of the sugar (only used 1/4 cup with the strawberries and 1/8 for the t..." See moreop of the dough) and it was delicious! I also substituted cinnamon for nutmeg, since I didn't have any. Will definitely make again!"
Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake
Just swipe to see more like this.