Banana Layer Cake14 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This moist, delicious banana cake is topped with a rich caramel frosting.” - by SHERRY_G
Original recipe yields 1 - 2 layer 8 inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 (8 inch) round pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Dissolve soda in buttermilk; add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in the mashed bananas and pecans.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Spread Caramel Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.
- To make the Caramel Frosting: In a heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar, evaporated milk and 1/2 cup butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches softball stage (240 degrees F; 116 degrees C). Remove from heat, and beat until spreading consistency; add additional milk if necessary. Spread immediately on cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 576 cal
- 24.6 g
- 86.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"I omitted nuts. This banana cake is OUT OF THIS WORLD. The caramel topping is a cross between frosting and glaze. I brought it to bubbling then poured over the cake and placed it under the broiler for..." See more a few minutes. I used more banana than the recipe called for and it came out very moist. (very ripe bananas as well)"
"Lightly fragrant, moist, and soft. But this recipe seems to be missing some flavoring ingredients. I subbed cake flour for all purpose, used 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp margarine, 1/4 cup less sugar, and sour cr..." See moreeam for the buttermilk. Also added 1/4 cup raisins, 1/2 tsp vanilla and coconut extract and omitted the frosting, it's sweet enough as is. Next time I'll add some cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt too. Also, the cake is much better a day or two after baking."
"I made this recipe with my exchange student and it turned out wonderful! I'm sure it would have been even better if I'd had a candy thermometer for the icing but, hey, it still worked out. It was gr..." See moreeat even a couple days after and I'm not sure about after that because it became very addicting."
Banana Cake V
Banana Cake I
Just swipe to see more like this.