Cream Cheese and Almond Wheat Bread2 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 45 min
“Great variation of wheat bread.” - by neonate6211
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Mix warm water, brown sugar, and yeast in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes. Grease a separate large bowl and set aside.
- Stir whipped cream cheese, almonds, milk, vegetable oil, honey, and salt into the yeast mixture. Transfer to a blender; blend until creamy and smooth.
- Slowly stir all-purpose flour and cream cheese mixture together in a large bowl; add whole-wheat flour. Stir to make a smooth dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and springy, about 8 minutes. Place dough in the greased bowl, turning once to grease the top of the dough. Cover bowl with a towel and let sit until double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 5x9-inch bread pan.
- Punch dough down and knead again on a floured surface; form into a loaf. Place dough in the greased bread pan. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, 45 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread is done in the middle and top is browned, 50 to 60 minutes. Cover bread with aluminum foil if it gets too dark during the cooking process.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 272 cal
- 12 g
- 36.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"I was looking for a bread that would be great with a cup of coffee in the morning so I decided to use this recipe but just add more sweetness. I doubled the brown sugar and honey and instead of puttin..." See moreg the almonds into the dough I mixed them with 1/2 cup of brown sugar and about 1 tbls of corn oil and sprinkled it all over the top and sides of the dough before baking it. I added 1 tsp. of pure almond extract to the dough. And I only used 1 tsp. of salt. This was exactly what I was looking for! It was very slightly sweet and crunchy on top and I love the tang from the cream cheese in the bread! I didn't do a second rise. I just let it rise for 1 hour in a greased 8"x8" baking dish with my almond/sugar topping, then just baked it at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes! My house was filled with the lovely aroma of sweet almond bread! Perfect! I will be making this ALOT!"
"I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. As another poster suggested, I doubled the sugar and honey. I thought the dough was too large for one bread pan, and it took a long time to rise a little, but r..." See moreaised considerably while baking. The loaf tastes good, but as with so many wheat breads, it is rather dense and a little hard to hold together when toasting. I did like the flavor, but I like a bread that is a little more "spongy" and less crumbly. Perhaps next time I will divide it between two loaf pans and see if less weight makes it a little less dense."
Kid-Friendly Wheat Bread
Classic Whole Wheat Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.