Mawmaw's Simple Fried Green Tomatoes2 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“My grandmother's fried green tomatoes were famous in our community. The recipe is so simple, but the results are delicious!” - by HeyGoodLookin
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place tomato slices in a bowl of ice water; soak for about 5 minutes.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Combine cornmeal and flour in a bowl.
- Remove tomato slices from ice water, one at at time, and coat lightly in the cornmeal mixture; shake off any excess. Place in the hot oil.
- Cook tomato slices, working in batches, until edges are golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 280 cal
- 3.8 g
- 54.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"Wonderful! I think the ice water helped keep the tomatoes firm although the recipe didn't mention that. Awesome taste! I would have taken a picture but they were eaten too quickly...." See more"
Best Fried Green Tomatoes
Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
Just swipe to see more like this.