Indian Tacos with Yeast Fry Bread10 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“My cousins grew up on a reservation in South Dakota, and this is how we always made our fry bread (with yeast).” - by BETSY4020
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Mix yeast, sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl and set aside until the yeast mixture forms a creamy foam layer on top, about 5 minutes. Whisk flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir flour mixture into yeast mixture by thirds, alternating with 1 cup warm water in thirds, and beat to make a firm dough.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into a ball on a floured work surface. Roll out the dough balls into flat round tortillas.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Gently place tortillas, one at a time, into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cook and stir ground beef with 1 large minced onion in a skillet over medium heat until the meat is browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease and stir in diced tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Bring the chili to a boil and reduce heat to low; simmer until thickened, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Place a piece of fry bread onto a plate and ladle a generous portion of chili onto the bread. Transfer Cheddar cheese, lettuce, 1 cup finely chopped onion, and mild green chilies into separate bowls and top each portion with about 1 tablespoon of Cheddar cheese and desired amounts of lettuce, onion, and chilies.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 470 cal
- 27.9 g
- 38.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BETSY!! Wish I could give you a million stars!! These are the Indian FryBread tacos of my youth...we used to travel to South Dakota for vacation every year and I remember..." See more eating these in the Badlands...I have been trying to recreate them for YEARS with no success(no other recipe uses yeast). They were a HIT! My kids(14yr step son, 11yr old, 9yr old) and hubby LOVED them and they brought me back to my childhood. They are perfect!!! Thank you so much!!! I could eat this bread all day!! My kids even had dessert with some leftover bread and cinnamon sugar, that's also to die for. PS I just used ground beef and taco seasoning mix, but the meat sounds wonderful too, next time I will be sure to have the ingredients on hand to make them even better!!"
"We are now addicted to these Indian tacos! Just great flavour and our guests are asking for them. Thanks so much for the recipe...." See more"
"I am also from SD, Rapid City. I only used the part for the Fry Bread and it was great! I used the recipe for Buffy's Refried Beans and my own ground beef with seasonings, cumin, chili pwdr,garlic, a..." See morend cornstarch. Also made homemade quacamole! Pile everything on with shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, onion, tomato and ripe olives!"
Southwestern-Flavored Ground Beef or Turkey for Tacos & Salad
Just swipe to see more like this.