Hearty Wheat Yeast Rolls19 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“Here is a hearty wheat dinner roll that will be sure to please all.” - by EHOLT
Original recipe yields 1 dozen
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the butter, sugar and salt; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture, milk mixture, whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour; stir well to combine. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and form into football shaped oval. Place the rolls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Brush rolls with melted butter, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 163 cal
- 4.2 g
- 27.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"This was a really easy resipe, especially since I am an amateur baker! I actually "veganized" this recipe by using soymilk and margarine instead, and they still worked out great!..." See more"
"I chose this recipe from many available online because it didn't contain a lot of sugar or honey. This makes a nice savory roll when a little garlic powder and rosemary is added. I also brushed with ..." See moreolive oil instead of butter and salted the tops. Next time I might double the recipe to make sandwich rolls. An easy recipe to follow and fast for a yeast bread. Every element performed as expected and the result tastes very good."
"I have been looking for an easy or quick whole wheat dinner roll recipe for several years, I guess I will have to continue looking. although the recipe is easy and quick, the resulting product leaves ..." See moresomething to be desired, they were dry and a little doughy. I live at high altitude and I did not do any adjustments to the receipe, I wanted to try it with out adding extra this and that and adjusting the leavening. Next time I will try adjusting for altitude and do a follow-up review."
Light Wheat Rolls
Mom's Yeast Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.