Chef John's Chicken and Dumplings22 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“Not only is this American classic American and classic, it is also one of the most comforting things you'll ever eat and the great thing about this dumpling recipe is that it will work on just about any soup or stew!” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven. Add water, carrot, celery, onion, 3 sprigs of thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour. Remove chicken from dutch oven and transfer to a bowl; set aside to cool.
- Increase heat and bring the stock to a simmer. Skim off any chicken fat that appears on top of the stock and reserve in a bowl. Combine 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved fat with flour in a small bowl; stir to make a paste, adding more flour if needed. Add the chicken fat and flour mixture to the stock. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken meat from the carcass and add to the stock. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk creme fraiche, milk, 2 teaspoons of thyme leaves, and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in self-rising flour until almost entirely incorporated; do not overmix.
- Scoop large dollops of dumpling mixture on top of the chicken stock. Increase heat slightly to medium-high. Cover and simmer until dumplings appear light and fluffy, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve garnish with thyme sprigs.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 750 cal
- 36.8 g
- 59.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (22)Rate This Recipe
"Followed the recipe exactly. Sauce was quite thin and didn't have much flavor, though I think the cayenne pepper actually saved it. It was fun trying a different version of the Chicken and Dumplings..." See more I usually prepare. Thanks for the post Chef!"
"Just finished making this. Followed the recipe and video exactly. It is SO good and SO easy! I've never had success with making dumplings until tonight, and it is getting thumbs up from the whole fa..." See moremily. Watch the video, it makes it impossible to mess up!"
Chef John's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
D' Best Chicken N' Dumplings
Just swipe to see more like this.