American French Onion Soup3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“This recipe takes French onion soup and gives it a few American twists that are going to make it a little bit easier.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large, oven-safe skillet on medium heat. Stir in onions until they are all coated in butter. Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until they are tender and well browned, about 1 hour.
- Transfer skillet to the stovetop; cook and stir onions over medium heat until they start to brown and stick to the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes. Pour sherry and vinegar into the pan, and bring to a boil while scraping browned bits of onion off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Place caramelized onions in a large soup pot. Pour in chicken broth, beef broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam and fat that appear on top. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Generously brush French bread slices with melted butter. Place on a baking sheet and broil in the preheated oven until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into heat-proof bowls, top each bowl with a piece of toasted bread, sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Broil bowls of soup under the broiler until cheese is golden and bubbly, 5 to 6 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 470 cal
- 30 g
- 32.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Thank you for a tasty recipe! This was yummy. It's definitely not a traditional french onion, but it was a nice change of pace! I think my onions were a little big, because there were a lot in there, ..." See morebut the broth was soooo good! Easy to make too! It's a keeper!"
"This is a wonderfully flavored soup and the diced onions and onion baking shortcuts are definitely a plus over traditional French onion soup. Of the three soups I served tonight, this was the least po..." See morepular."
"This had a really good flavor to it. I didn't make it with the bread because I was already making grilled cheese for my son although I will have to try it the original way. I have never made french ..." See moreonion soup, I was glad for the easy instructions but it was a very time consuming recipe. Apparently this was the less time consuming version so I'm glad that I chose it."
Lance's French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup III
Just swipe to see more like this.