What (Chocolate) Dreams Are Made Of Cake0 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“When I was a kid, my grandma made this dessert at every holiday and it always seemed like there was never enough it! It has 4 layers of awesomeness, including mousse, custard, and ganache. Feel free to take a short cut with a boxed mix and don't be intimidated by all the steps. If you know your way around a kitchen you'll put this together with ease. Quite possibly the best dessert you'll ever have. I recently made this for friends and they told me it's very similar to a beloved discontinued dessert from a popular Italian restaurant chain.” - by RainbowJewels
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Mix cake mix, 1 cup water, oil, and eggs in a large bow until well blended. Pour batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 26 to 31 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice one cakes in half horizontally and place one half in a 10-inch springform pan. Save remaining 3/4 cake for another use.
- Melt chopped baking chocolate and cream cheese in a large microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, for 1 to 3 minutes (depending on your microwave). Set aside to cool.
- Mix 1 teaspoon gelatin with 1 tablespoon cold water in a small bowl for 1 minutes; add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Beat 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream until foamy in a large bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and gelatin mixture; continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the whipped cream should form a sharp peak that holds its shape. Fold about 1/4 the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate cream cheese mixture until well blended; fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture to create a mousse. Spread mousse over cake arranged in springform pan. Refrigerate while preparing next layer.
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl until yolks are a pale yellow. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and 1 teaspoon gelatin until mixed.
- Bring 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract to a boil in a saucepan; lower heat to medium. Pour about 1/2 cup hot cream into egg mixture while stirring; stir remaining cream mixture into bowl. Pour cream mixture through a strainer into the saucepan; continue cooking and stirring until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Allow custard to cool, then pour over mousse layer in springform pan. Place cake in freezer while making remaining layer.
- Reserve 1/2 cup chocolate chips; pour remaining chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream and butter to a boil in a clean saucepan. Pour cream mixture into the bowl over chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and chocolate is melted. Allow mixture to cool until chocolate ganache begins to thicken.
- Remover cake from freezer and remove pan collar from the springform pan. Pour chocolate ganache over cake; use a spatula to evenly spread chocolate over top and sides of the cake. Press reserved 1/2 cup chocolate chips along the side of the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 1047 cal
- 77.6 g
- 85.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Chocolate Candy Bar Cake
Debbie's Red Rhubarb Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.