Gooey Cherry Bars24 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“Cherry and nut layer bars which are very festive for all December holidays.” - by Ruthie Isaacs
Original recipe yields 36 bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, white sugar and 3/4 cup butter until crumbly. Press into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes, until light brown.
- In a food processor, combine eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and baking powder and process until smooth. Pour in cherries and walnuts and pulse until just chopped and incorporated, but not pulverized. Pour over crust.
- Bake 25 minutes, until center is set.
- To frost, cream together confectioners' sugar with 2 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons cherry juice until fluffy. Frost cooled dessert and cut into bars.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 156 cal
- 5.9 g
- 24.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (24)Rate This Recipe
"These turned out great but i do agree that once i first iced them, they were kind of "blah" looking. I had some mini gingerbread men and christmas tree sprinkles and with this addition, they looked be..." See moreautiful. These squares require patience when cutting them in order to get the perfect looking square. I froze mine slightly prior to cutting it. I also did not have a food processor, but i used my pampered chef chopper and it did the cherries and nuts perfectly. Great addition to my christmas baking."
"Sweet, buttery and rich, rich, RICH! So sweet my husband said it made his teeth "tingle".The shortbread base seemed overdone, I would suggest not waiting for your crust to get to the light brown stage..." See more in the first baking step, just go with the 12 minutes realizing that it's going to cook for another 25 minutes. You must definitely wait until the bars are completely cooled to frost or it will be a mess. There is another recipe on this site that I like a lot called "Pink Ladies" that uses a similar frosting for a chocolate base, I think I'd like to try and combine parts of each of these recipes to have a chocolate base with cherry topping."
Cherry Walnut Bars
Just swipe to see more like this.