Zucchini Casserole with Mint and Parsley1 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This dish was inspired by 2 enormous zucchinis given to us by our neighbors. When split in half they were too large for my deep lasagna casserole dish! After reading several different recipes, I opted to try for a variation on my stuffed bell pepper recipe and the result was heavenly. Granddaughters 4 and 8 asked for seconds! This recipe can also be vegetarian; just omit the meat.” - by Bubbe
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the inside of a casserole dish.
- Scoop pulp from the center of each zucchini half, leaving a 1/2-inch deep shell. Chop pulp and reserve. Place zucchini shells in a pot of lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Cook until zucchini are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and arrange zucchini in bottom of prepared casserole dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions and zucchini pulp until onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Add rice and reserved juice from canned tomatoes; cook until liquid is nearly evaporated, stirring regularly, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Stir water in 1/2 cup increments into rice mixture until rice has absorbed all the water and is almost tender, 10 to 15 more minutes. Add mint, parsley, wine, and sausages; cook until heated through and rice is tender, adding additional water if needed, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon rice mixture over zucchini halves in casserole dish.
- Bake casserole in preheated oven until zucchini are tender, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 251 cal
- 13.9 g
- 24.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"This was really good! It is a nice refreshing meal with the taste of mint and can be made vegetarian very easily...." See more"
Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole
Zucchini Casserole with Fontina Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.