Chef John's Baked Eggs55 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 20 min
“If you enjoy huevos rancheros, you will love this. The way the spicy sauce mingles with just barely set eggs is very similar, and when you start scooping this up with toasted chunks of bread, it gets borderline magical.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 1 serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spoon marinara sauce into the bottom of a small baking dish, about 1/4 inch high. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and parsley. Make a narrow well in the center of the sauce for the eggs.
- Crack each egg into a ramekin, then pour into the baking dish over the marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, olive oil, and cream. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bake in the preheated oven until yolks are just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with toast.
Amount Per Serving (1 total)
- 560 cal
- 35.9 g
- 39.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (55)Rate This Recipe
"We double the recipe and make this in a 7 by 11 glass dish and place it between us. Using Cholmondley's English Muffin bread, toasted, we mop up every last drop. So tasty. Thanks, Chef John. Anoth..." See moreer hit!"
"Yummy, yummy, yummy. What a splendiferous recipe! I saw the video the other day and felt that I had to try it. I did not measure the ingredients but added them by eye. It's so simple that you can only..." See more really go wrong if you overcook the dish or burn the toast! I just had it for my dinner and am wondering if it's too greedy to have more or if I even care about that! I did take mine out of the oven just before the yolks had set as the eggs carry on cooking in the heat of the ingredients. Perfect!"
"Great recipe! Made it for dinner for my gf and she loved it. It's almost like huevos rancheros but marinara sauce is better IMO. It's salty and sweet with a nice basil finish. Will use more basil and..." See more some pressed garlic next time. I skipped on using cream and it was still yummy. Make sure you don't over cook the yolk. The yumminess of this dish depends on the consistency of a semi-oozy yolk. Watch the video! Thx Chef John!"
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Just swipe to see more like this.