Black Onion Relish1 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“This quick and very dirty recipe for black onion relish was quite delicious on grilled salmon, but with every bite I became more and more agitated, thinking about how utterly perfect this would have been on a grilled hot dog.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 0 cups
- Build a campfire or prepare a charcoal grill and allow the fire to burn until it has accumulated a bed of coals.
- Nestle onions into the hot goals and pile coals up on the sides and on top. Roast until blackened and tender, about 15 minutes. Turn onions, rebury them, and cook until the onions begin to leak juice, another 10 to 15 minutes. A bamboo skewer inserted into the center should easily slide in. Place onions in a bowl, cover and allow to cool.
- Place red pepper on the coals; cook, turning often, until charred, about 10 minutes.
- Peel the blackened skin off the onions and scrape the charred black bits off the red pepper. Finely chop onions and red pepper. Combine in a bowl with parsley, and season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Toss sherry vinegar and olive oil in with relish, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 124 cal
- 10.3 g
- 7.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I made this and put it over baked potatoes cooked in coals also and it was delicious. It's much more fun watching your food cook on the campfire instead of over the boring stove. It serves as a meal f..." See moreor us. I made this the same as presented with no modifications."
Grilled Vidalia Onion Soup
Cucumber and Onion Relish
Just swipe to see more like this.