Floating Islands II12 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“This is a favorite dessert of everyone who tries it.” - by Jen
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually pour in 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Bring milk to a simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Drop egg white mixture in six separate mounds into simmering milk, leaving one inch between mounds. Poach 3 to 5 minutes, turning once. Remove meringues with slotted spoon and drain. Remove milk from heat and set aside.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in milk from the saucepan.
- Cook milk mixture in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Let cool before stirring in vanilla.
- To serve, pour custard in a dish and top with poached meringues.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 220 cal
- 6.4 g
- 31.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really like the taste of this dessert. It was pretty enough and not as difficult as I thought it would be...." See more"
"I really liked this recipe and so did my whole family. We like a sweeter custard so I added a little more sugar and it was great. There was too much meringue though--one egg white would have been su..." See morefficient and that is all I will use in the future."
Just swipe to see more like this.