Old School Mac n' Cheese34 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a completely unpretentious, down-home macaroni and cheese recipe just like my grandma and mom always made. A simple white sauce where you add cheese and a few other flavors with macaroni and a potato chip crust. This recipe makes a lot, I like to make two pans so I can take one to a pot luck and have the other one to keep in the fridge for later. It's an easy recipe to adjust down if you only want to make one pan. If you aren't cooking it right away, just keep the topping separate until you are ready to put it in the oven.” - by CDCooks
Original recipe yields 20 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour to butter, whisking constantly; cook until brown and the mixture no longer smells of flour, about 5 minutes. Pour 1 cup milk into the flour mixture, whisking continually until fully incorporated, about 45 seconds; repeat twice. Add remaining 3 cups milk to the mixture, whisking to incorporate. Stir Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper into the mixture; season with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook sauce, whisking frequently, until it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Add about half the package of shredded Cheddar cheese; stir continually until the cheese melts completely. Repeat with remaining half package of Cheddar cheese and the American cheese, about 4 ounces at a time. Once cheese is entirely incorporated, remove sauce from heat.
- Stir drained macaroni into the cheese sauce to coat. Divide macaroni between two 9x13-inch baking dishes.
- Mix crushed potato chips, 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Top the macaroni with the potato chip mixture evenly. Spray the potato chip mixture with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling, 35 to 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)See More
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (34)Rate This Recipe
"Nothing says "comfort food" quite like mac & cheese. This recipe was simple, has a great flavor and was enjoyed by my whole family. I didn't have potato chips on hand so I topped it with some crushed ..." See morecrackers. Delicious!"
"This is a GREAT recipe. I'm not a very good cook but I nailed this recipe. My boyfriend LOVES it! I did do a few things differently. I used processed american cheese, added 1 chicken breast (cut into ..." See morevery small pieces, cooked and seasoned), almost doubled the seasonings and used ritz crackers instead of chips. I cooked the pasta all the way and only put it in the oven for 10 minutes for the cheese to melt and the crackers to brown."
"I loved this recipe. I left the chips off and added a little extra Parmesan cheese for an awesome crust. I also added boneless chicken breast and shrimp, yes, at the same time. It is really delicious...." See more I used boneless chicken breast that I boiled in water. Then I placed them on a cutting board and used a masher (like for potatoes) to mash and "shred" them. Set aside. Then I used raw (uncooked) shrimp and peel them completely, including tails. Shrimp size is up to you. Mix in the chicken and shrimp (raw) when you combine the macaroni and cheese sauce. The shrimp will cook in the oven. Enjoy, it is an impressive meal!!"
Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese
Baked Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.