Best Ever Pumpernickel Loaf1 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“I have been looking and looking for a GREAT pumpernickel recipe since my bread machine broke. This is a conglomeration of a number of different recipes, tweaked until it is just right. I think I finally found the perfect loaf! Serve with honey butter.” - by AFLYNN6
Original recipe yields 1 loaf
- Stir warm water, molasses, and yeast together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes. Add canola oil.
- Mix bread flour, whole-wheat flour, rye flour, cornmeal, cocoa powder, vital wheat gluten, and salt in a bowl. Add slowly to yeast mixture. Fit the mixer with the dough hook attachment; turn to medium speed and let dough mix for 15 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead by hand until no longer sticky, but smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed, 3 to 5 minutes. Grease a large bowl.
- Transfer dough to greased bowl, turning to coat dough on all sides. Cover bowl; let rise in a warm area until doubles in size, 30 minutes. Grease a loaf pan.
- Punch dough down and transfer to greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)See More
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"The only thing missing might be caraway seeds and I will concede they are optional. After the first rise I felt a loaf pan would be too small so I free-formed the dough. It did spread slightly but ..." See morestill made a nice boule, substantial but not too dense with a nice crisp crust and moist crumb. The flavor is really good, there are notes from the molasses and cocoa but they are balanced. Thanks, this will be made often."
Best Ever Corn Muffins
Best Ever Cinnamon Pull Aparts
Just swipe to see more like this.