Bea and Bill's Bread and Butter Pickles0 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 6 hr 40 min
“These are the pickles that were present at every family event. One taste and memories of summer and our grandparents - Bill and Beatrice Cooper - come flooding back. Enjoy!” - by Matt Henchen
Original recipe yields 30 servings
- Combine cucumbers, onions, pickling salt, and garlic in a large pot. Place enough cracked ice atop the cucumber mixture to cover by at least 2 inches.
- Cover the pot with a lid and refrigerate 3 to 12 hours. Drain all liquid from the mixture. Discard any remaining pieces of ice. Remove the garlic and set aside.
- Bring the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, turmeric, and celery seed to a boil in a separate large saucepan, stirring frequently. Add the cucumber and onion mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a simmer until cucumbers and onion are soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the cucumber and onion mixture into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place jars in a canning pot with at least an inch of water covering all of the jars and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). If you have a can that does not seal, just stick it in the fridge and eat that jar first. Store in a cool, dark area, and wait at least 3 hours before opening.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 149 cal
- 0.4 g
- < 1%
- 35.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Bread and Butter Pickles II
Bab's Bread and Butter Pickles
Just swipe to see more like this.