Cracked Wheat Bread II23 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“Nutty and moist, this bread is light and makes great toast.” - by NMLARSON
Original recipe yields 2 - 9x5 inch loaves
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in cracked wheat and simmer for 10 minutes; let cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the cracked wheat mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the butter, salt, molasses, honey, milk, yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and 2 cups of the bread flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on top and bottom. Cool on racks.
Amount Per Serving (20 total)
- 151 cal
- 1.8 g
- 29.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (23)Rate This Recipe
"This is the best Cracked Wheat Bread Recipe I had ever used. I cut the All Purpose Flour down to a bit over 3 cups for that soft texture and great crumb... The 4 cups is good but a bit more dense. An..." See mored too, I like to toss in a couple Tablespoons of Flax Seed to kick it up a bit. "
"This is an incredibly light, tasteful bread. I let it rise for almost a full hour and a half the second time and the dough tripled... making it even more airy! Since my family has been on this healt..." See moreh kick lately I added 1 cup more whole wheat flour instead of the white flour. Now they can eat it AND say it is healthy! :)"
Whole Wheat Bread II
Classic Whole Wheat Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.