Fresh Yeast Bread7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 20 min
“Pre-slice and freeze these loaves. Then simply defrost, heat and rub butter over top for a 'fresh out of the oven' taste.” - by ANNAXENA
Original recipe yields 6 - 9x5 inch loaves
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a very large bowl, combine hot water, white sugar, salt and shortening. Stir to dissolve shortening; let cool to lukewarm. Add the yeast mixture and 6 cups of flour; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.
- Lightly oil two large bowls Divide the dough in half and place each half in a bowl; turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate dough, form into rounds and let rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into six equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into six lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until loaves are golden brown and bottoms sound hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (72 total)
- 124 cal
- 1.9 g
- 22.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"easy recipe for bread, i made it. i substituted a whole cup of sugar for the 3/4 cups, a stick of butter for the shortning, and poured in a little bit of corn oil. i used two packs of dry yeast in w..." See moreater with a teaspoon of sugar to get it all started. i liked the use of 4 cups of water, it made it very easy to stir in the flour a cup at a time, i blended everything until the blender wouldn't work it (about 6 or 8 cups of flour) and then started doing it by hand, made for very smooth dough. added a second stick of butter when baking to coat the tops of the rolls so they'd brown real nice. great recipe, thanks for sharing."
"it is the best tasting bread ever. i can't make it fast enough. even though it is for a large amount already it still isn't enough! i substitute the shortening with a 1/3 cup of canola oil. it just ma..." See morekes the whole process a little faster. it doesn't change the flavor or texture. "
"This is a GREAT recipe!! I used two pkg of active dry yeast and started in one cup warm water with a tsp of sugar. I also added 1/4 c. honey, and 1/2 c. safflower oil instead of the shortening. I whis..." See moreked in 7 cups, then stirred and stirred. I made three large loaves and 6 mini loaves, for those times when a tiny sandwich is just right :). Thanks!!"
Grandma VanDoren's White Bread
Crusty White Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.