Shrimp Creole IV27 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr 5 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“Here is an easy recipe for that New Orleans favorite: shrimp in a spicy red gravy. If you already have stock on hand, its a very quick, easy meal with a huge 'wow' factor.” - by Stefanie
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a medium stock pot, combine the reserved shrimp shells, 1/2 onion, 1 carrot, 2 strips celery, and 4 cups water. Simmer for 1 hour, uncovered; stirring occasionally. Strain the stock into a smaller saucepan, boil and reduce the stock to 2 cups. Remove from heat.
- In a heavy skillet, melt grease over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic and green bell pepper; saute until soft and beginning to caramelize around the edges.
- Add the bay leaves, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and 2 cups reduced shrimp stock. Bring to a boil and add crushed rosemary, crushed thyme, crushed basil, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Cover and simmer over low/medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add the cleaned and deveined shrimp. Stir, cover and turn off the heat. Let the shrimp sit for 15 to 20 minutes or until pink throughout. Sprinkle the green onions on top.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 428 cal
- 17.7 g
- 26.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"Fantastic dish! It's very spicy, which my family loves, but others should beware. I used canned chicken stock instead of making the shrimp stock and I still thought it was excellent (and much faster..." See more!)."
"Good stuff!! I only had 2 lbs of tiger shrimp on hand, so sub'd 1 lb of chicken breast (cubed), adding it halfway thru the 1-hour covered simmer. Can't buy good tomatoes now, so used 2 cans (15oz) Dic..." See moreed Tomatoes in Sauce and 1 can (15oz) Tomato Sauce. Used 1-1/2 tsp salt. I know how much fire is in 1 tsp of cayenne, so to please the family I cut cayenne down to 1/4 tsp, Tabasco to 1/2 tsp. Still had a good ZING! Served with rice. Leftovers were even better the next day. Thanks for a great recipe, Stefanie! "
"VERY GOOD! I DID OF COURSE, MAKE A FEW MINOR ADJUSTMENTS. INSTEAD OF TOMATO SAUCE AND 4 TOMATOES, I USED 1 LARGE CAN OF DICED TOMATOES AND 1 6OZ CAN OF TOMATOE PASTE. ALSO, WHEN SAUTEEING THE ONION..." See moreS, GARLIC, CELERY ETC, I ADDED A CUT OKRA. LASTLY I ADDED SAUSAGE TO HAVE A MORE MEAT VARIETY. OVERALL A GREAT RECIPE. WILL MAKE AGAIN AND AGAIN, I'M SURE! THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!!!"
Spicy Shrimp Creole
Excellent Shrimp Creole
Just swipe to see more like this.