Suzanne's Down Home Southern Dressing1 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“This is a dressing or stuffing served as a side dish with chicken or turkey. Chicken may be de-boned and added to dressing if you prefer. This is real southern cookin' y'all! Everyone tells me this dressing is so good it makes their tongues wanna slap their brains out! Hope you enjoy!” - by Suzanne Hayes
Original recipe yields 15 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with bacon grease.
- Mix corn bread mix with milk and egg according to package directions. In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook onion and bell pepper in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir onion mixture into corn bread batter. Pour into prepared 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Processed cooled corn bread in a food processor until soft and mushy. Pour into a large aluminum roasting pan. Stir in herbed stuffing mix. Stir in chicken broth, a can at a time, until mixture is well moistened, but not soupy. Stir in poultry seasoning and baking powder. Dot with remaining butter, and press butter down into dressing.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden, 30 to 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 525 cal
- 22.3 g
- 69.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I would have liked this better without the pre packaged stuffing, It gave it a stove top taste, all the other ingredients were great I still prefer a cornbread only stuffing, isn't it interesting how ..." See moremany different styles of stuffing there are around the country??? I will try this again making some adjustments on the breading, thanx!!!!"
Down Home Baked Beans
Mama's Cornbread and Sausage Turkey Dressing
Just swipe to see more like this.