Old Time Mincemeat Pie3 Reviews
- Prep: 1 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 41 min
“An old-fashioned mincemeat pie filling made with meat and sour cherries.” - by ONEMINA
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch pie
- In a Dutch oven, combine beef and apple cider. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until meat is tender. Remove meat and coarsely chop, then return it to the pot.
- Stir in chopped apples, sugar, currants, raisins, citrus peel, butter and cherry preserves. Add ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Let simmer, uncovered, over low heat until mixture is very thick, about 90 minutes. Stir in cherries and remove from heat.
- Refrigerate tightly covered for at least a week before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put filling in unbaked pie shell and place pastry on top. Crimp edges and poke several holes in top pastry. Brush top with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 1106 cal
- 37.5 g
- 181.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I have been using this recipe for about 7 years now. Each time I use this recipe, it gets better each year. I don't think I have ever had a complaint. My success in this recipe is, instead of letting ..." See morethe mincemeat ferment for a week, I usually let it set from 2 weeks to a month instead. At the very end of the cooking part, I do pour some Brandy in (for flavor)."
"My son now refuses to come home from college for these holidays unless he gets this pie. For both Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I send him back with mini-pies (using giant muffin foil tins and lot..." See mores of plastic wrap, it gets through TSA). He loves this pie. He wants to marry this pie. Demand is growing and my friends, family, coworkers are expecting this too. I'm going to have to mix it in the bathtub this year. Don't worry about the meat, it adds flavor and texture, but this is dessert, not at all like chomping on a steak. Though a slice will do me quite nicely for lunch :). If you have trouble finding the ingredients, I get my peel, cherries, and currants from nutsonline. I also make it a month ahead and stir it every few days, adding a dash of brandy every few days (to the pie mix, not me, well, usually not me). I've successfully frozen it too for longer keeping. 2 weeks to pie-day!"
"I am not one to eat mincemeat pie, but my father does. He loves mincemeat pie. I tried this recipe and told him he was my guinnea pig, because I don't usually do any baking (from scratch or otherwis..." See moree). He said it tasted pretty close to non such mincemeat pie. I would use this recipe again."
Old English Cream Pie Filling
Old Fashioned Raisin Pie II
Just swipe to see more like this.