Stuffed Pumpkin I8 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“This is a beautiful dish to serve as a centerpiece to your holiday celebration. A whole pumpkin is stuffed with a savory meat mixture. The recipe calls for venison, but ground beef may be substituted.” - by ONEMINA
Original recipe yields 1 --stuffed pumpkin
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add wild rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove the top of the pumpkin and scoop out pulp and seeds. Prick the pumpkin interior with a fork and rub with 1 teaspoon salt and dry mustard.
- Heat bacon grease in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the ground venison and onion. Slowly cook and stir until evenly brown. Remove from heat. Mix in the wild rice, remaining salt, eggs, sage and pepper. Stuff the pumpkin with the venison mixture. Place pumpkin in a shallow baking pan with 1/2 inch water.
- Bake the pumpkin in the preheated oven 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Add more water to the pan as necessary to avoid sticking.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 256 cal
- 7.2 g
- 29.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"Those of you that have not tried this recipe, you are really missing a fabulous side dish. You can also substitute ground turkey for beef or venison. In the fall when the pumpkins/squash are ready, ..." See moreI think of this dish. You won't be disappointed."
"I've not used this recipe. However I've had this many times since childhood. In my family we've always used a combination of ground sausage, celery, red peppers, and allspice...." See more"
Classy Pumpkin Pasta
Just swipe to see more like this.