King Cake65 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 45 min
“This a sweet bread that is made during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It has a cream cheese filling and a simple glaze. A tiny plastic baby baked into the bread and will bring good luck to whoever finds it.” - by ARVILLALAR
Original recipe yields 1 ring shaped loaf
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and white sugar in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the egg yolks and melted butter into the milk mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, nutmeg and lemon zest. Beat the flour mixture into the milk/egg mixture 1 cup at a time. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar. Mix well. In another small bowl, combine the remaining 2 cups confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons milk. Mix well and set aside.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll the dough out into a 6x30 inch rectangle. Spread the cream cheese filling across the center of the dough. Bring the two long edges together and seal completely. Using your hands shape the dough into a long cylinder and place on a greased baking sheet, seam-side down. Shape the dough into a ring press the baby into the ring from the bottom so that it is completely hidden by the dough. Place a well-greased 2 pound metal coffee can the center of the ring to maintain the shape during baking. Cover the ring with a towel and place in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove the coffee can and allow the bread to cool. Drizzle cooled cake with lemon/sugar glaze and decorate with candy sprinkles.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 462 cal
- 17.3 g
- 69.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (65)Rate This Recipe
"This is a wonderful King's Cake. I thought the glaze was a little to lemony, but, when on top of the wonderful King's Cake with the filling, it is perfect! I did have a little trouble getting the dou..." See moregh to remain closed after putting in the filling. I think next time I will roll the dough out a little larger so I have more to work with on the closing. The filling is wonderfully creamy and sweet, very easy to make. This cake was easy and pretty fast. It is very kid friendly, both in the making and eatting! Give it a try you'll like it!!"
"Thanks Arvilla for a delicious recipe, I simplified the process by using frozen bread dough, thaw per directions, knead, roll out flat to a 6 x 10" rectangle, let rise, prepare filling, I also used ca..." See morenned lemon pie filling, spread it along side cream cheese then wrapped dough over filling forming a ring, topped with lemon glaze and sprinkles, the best and easy too!!!"
King Cake in a Bread Machine
Buttermilk King Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
Just swipe to see more like this.