Manaaeesh Flatbread0 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 10 hr 5 min
“This flatbread with its sultry flavor makes for a unique appetizer or can be served in wedges to compliment a main course. After attending summer BBQs and pot luck get-togethers where I first tasted this unique bread, I finally persuaded my Middle Eastern friend to ask her mother for this recipe. While not at all spicy, Za'atar, common in Lebanese kitchens, is a blend of many spices that will make your taste buds sing. I often cut this flatbread into bite-size pieces and serve it with small individual bowls of a good quality extra-virgin olive oil for dipping. Double dipping allowed this way!” - by cynjne
Original recipe yields 1 9x13-inch flatbread
- Mix yeast with warm water in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand until a creamy layer of foam appears, about 10 minutes. Whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil, then gradually stir in flour and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and just a little bit sticky, 10 to 12 minutes. Place dough into an oiled bowl and turn dough around in bowl to coat surface with oil; cover bowl and refrigerate dough overnight. (Dough should double in size.)
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking sheet generously with 2 tablespoons olive oil; place dough in the center of the baking sheet and flatten into a thick disk. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Use your palms and fingers to gently press and stretch dough to the edges of the oiled baking sheet, making the flatbread as even in thickness as you can. With fingertips, make small indentations in the dough. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Stir za'atar and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the flatbread. Let dough rest for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake flatbread in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 322 cal
- 18.7 g
- 34.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Garlic Cheese Flatbread
Grandma's Yeast Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.