Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake14 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“Old fashioned, made from scratch strawberry shortcake.” - by MALIA2
Original recipe yields 1 8-inch cake
- Mix strawberries and 1 cup sugar in a bowl and allow to stand while you complete remaining steps. Stir occasionally to help juice form.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch round baking pan.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir milk into crumb mixture until just blended; pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes; cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing shortcake.
- Split shortcake into two layers; spread bottom layer with 2 tablespoons softened butter and top with strawberries and juice. Place top layer over strawberries. Serve with whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 391 cal
- 14.5 g
- 61.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"I followed the recipe exactly as written (though I did have to bake an extra 10-15 minutes as well before it was set in the middle) and this was a FANTASTIC shortcake recipe! We had guests over, and a..." See morell 5 of us LOVED this recipe. Delicious (especially with some fresh made whipped cream - YUMM!)"
"This was delicious and very easy to make. People were licking their plates. Thanks for posting this recipe...." See more"
"EXCELLENT!! I needed to make this dairy free, so I used almond milk instead, and I prefer palm oil shortening instead of veg. shortening. I also wanted to serve this as a trifle, so I baked it in a ..." See more9x13 pan, cut cake into cubes and layered in the trifle dish with strawberries. I served the whipped cream on the side. I also really liked it topped with sour cream mixed with maple syrup, instead of whipped cream. Mmmmm. I just printed and added this to "my family's favorite recipe binder." Thanks for this recipe!"
Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake
Just swipe to see more like this.