Traditional Pita Breads9 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This is a great pita bread recipe I got from a friend who works at a great Greek restaurant here in my town. Slice pita in half and fill pockets with your favorite filling, or for dipping, cut into wedges and pan fry in a little olive oil.” - by Dennis Morazan
Original recipe yields 1 dozen pita breads
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a mixing bowl and allow to stand until the yeast forms a creamy foam, about 5 minutes. Mix in 2 cups of flour, salt, and shortening; beat for 2 minutes with a fork. Stir in as much of the remaining 1 1/2 cup flour as needed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, kneading in more flour if dough is sticky. Form into a ball, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rest in a warm area for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions; flour your hands and roll each piece into a ball. Cover dough balls with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes. Flatten the balls into rounds on a floured surface, cover with kitchen towel, and let rest 10 more minutes. Gently roll each dough ball into a circle about 6 inches in diameter on a floured surface. Place pita breads in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until the pita breads puff up, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip breads over with a spatula, return to oven, and bake 2 more minutes. Let cool on wire racks before cutting pita breads in half and gently separating tops and bottoms to form pockets for filling.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 172 cal
- 4.7 g
- 28 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"These turned out really well. Even with half whole wheat flour, they rose nicely and my family all enjoyed them!..." See more"
"I just made these and followed the directions to a T. It was a little waiting game but the result was the freshest, tastiest pitas we've ever tasted; my 6 y.o. ate 2 and wanted more! Thank you!..." See more"
Peppy's Pita Bread
Grandma's Yeast Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.