Blueberry Shortbread Bars24 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“You can use any summer fruit in these bars, as long as you don't use too much and it's not too wet. I hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 1 9-inch square pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place butter cubes in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Sprinkle in Chinese five-spice powder.
- Cut in frozen butter using a pastry cutter until the butter pieces are about the size of peas. Mix in egg yolk and continue cutting in until thoroughly combined. Drizzle in ice water and stir to combine. The dough should just come together when pinched between your fingers.
- Pour about 3/4 of the crumb mixture into an ungreased 9x9-inch baking dish. Press the mixture down firmly using the back of a spoon. Spread blueberries in one layer and sprinkle with remaining crumbly dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden and sides are crisp and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 167 cal
- 8.2 g
- 21.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (24)Rate This Recipe
"As usual, Chef John delivers a great recipe. I wanted a cookie bar for my favorite mechanics at our local Midas shop who love cookies. I don't do cookies well, and usually take them scones ( the Savoy..." See more recipe here at AR). After watching John's video, I thought these were a good compromise between cookies and scones. They turned out very well. Thanks Chef John."
"These were fast, easy, and very delicious! My family really liked them (except one daughter who doesn't like blueberries). I don't have Chinese spice so used 1/8 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp. cinnamom. Tha..." See morenks, and I enjoyed the video, also."
Blueberry Crumb Bars
Blueberry Oat Dream Bars
Just swipe to see more like this.