Classic Hamburger Pie9 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“A classic hamburger pie recipe handed down from my mother.” - by rademarco
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef and onion in the hot skillet until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir green beans and tomato soup into the ground beef mixture; transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Mash the cooled potatoes with milk, egg, garlic, pepper, and salt; spoon in mounds over the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and edges of dish begin to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 285 cal
- 10.5 g
- 31.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"This was what Mom called Shepherd's Pie. She varied the ingredients depending on what she had on hand--any kind of condensed soup or canned/frozen vegetables will work in the pie. Us kids always prefe..." See morered it made with cream of mushroom soup and canned corn. When I make this now, I add a few spices to the "gravy", like fresh ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and basil or oregano. There's usually no leftovers."
"I know everyone hates when people change the recipes; but it was sooo good! ok so I used instant loaded potatoes (2 packages) added sour cream, butter, cheese, & 1/2 cup crushed up frenchs fried onion..." See more strings the mashed potatoes (just like if you were going to eat it by itself) didn't use any kind of veggie in it. I also used chucky tomato basil soup (another time I used regular tomato soup but added a can of diced tomatoes and some basil). we like spices so I added zesty seasoning (kroger brand) about 1-2 tablespoons while I simmered the meat and onions. followed all the other directions, but added 1 cup of cheese on top and sprinkled about 1/2 cup of semi crushed fried onion strings. I only cooked it for 15 mins and it was sooo yummy!! this is such a basic recipe you can change so much to fit your tastes. ive included a pic of what it looked like done. ENJOY!"
Hot Tamale Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.