Hot German Potato Salad Casserole8 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“Passed down from my German/Dutch Grandmother. A hot potato salad with bacon, cheese and a creamy/vinegar sauce makes this a wonderful dish to serve with bratwurst on a cold fall day in Deutschland or wherever you might be. I usually double the bacon and sauce to make this extra flavorful.” - by LizgraEva
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of salted water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; transfer potatoes to a large baking dish.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels; crumble and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir celery and green onion until celery is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to baking dish.
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until smooth. Pour mixture over potatoes and stir until well mixed. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted, 20 to 35 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 274 cal
- 19.6 g
- 16.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"Made this for Recipe Group...We loved it! I did boil the potatoes whole before peeling/cubing b/c I don't like how they get when I do it the other way. I wasn't sure what to saute the onions and celer..." See morey in, so I used some of the bacon grease and that added great flavor. I also reduced the salt a bit, but that was a personal preference. This came together very easily, and, in fact, I made it earlier in the day and just refrigerated it until I was ready to bake it. This was a nice twist on the usual German potato salad, and one that I will be making again~YUM! Thanks for sharing. :)"
"Recipe Group Selection: 13, October 2012 ~ This is a different type of German Potato Salad than what I grew up on. That being said, different is good. I think I would have preferred to boil the pot..." See moreatoes first, and then cube them. They got a little mushy by cubing then boiling. The sauce mixture was a nice amount for 4 cups of potatoes. I used white cheddar cheese because that is what I had on hand. I think this will be a recipe that the leftovers will be even better than the first time around. My DH wishes I would have sautéed the celery and onions a little longer as he didn't appreciate the crunch in the dish. We both liked this dish and I would make it again. Thanks LizgraEva for sharing your version of Hot German Potato Salad."
Authentic German Potato Salad
Hot German Potato Salad II
Just swipe to see more like this.