Beef Short Rib French Onion Soup0 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 3 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 40 min
“Though I love French onion soup, this twist with beef short ribs adds great beef flavor and is a bit more hearty! The crocks are something else to purchase, but at $30 for a set of four which are microwave-, oven-, and dishwasher-safe, and handy for all sorts of things, they are worth it.” - by dbs.geek
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Mix flour, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl. Dredge beef short ribs in the seasoned flour mixture. Reserve 3 tablespoons of leftover seasoned flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and pan-fry the beef ribs until browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat down to medium and melt butter in the pot; cook and stir sweet onions in the butter until soft and slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Stir constantly and reduce heat if onions begin to burn.
- Stir 3 tablespoons of reserved seasoned flour mixture into the onions and cook and stir for 10 minutes; pour in beef broth and sherry. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thickened; season with more salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Strip leaves from thyme sprigs and add leaves to the soup. Gently return short ribs to the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer soup until ribs are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir soup every hour or so.
- Preheat the oven's broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe soup crocks, placing a short rib into each bowl. Top soup with 2 slices of French bread per bowl and sprinkle about 1/4 cup of Gruyere cheese over each crock.
- Place crocks under broiler until cheese is browned and bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 1162 cal
- 79.3 g
- 62.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Restaurant-Style French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup III
Just swipe to see more like this.